Tuesday 1 November 2016

Symantec, next-gen and 'single technology'

I tend not to take much notice of product announcements, even ESET's. However, Kevin Townsend's commentary on Symantec's SEP14 is worth reading, and not only because it includes a quote from one of my articles on ITSecurity. ;)

Symantec Unveils Evolutionary Update to Endpoint Protection Offering

Perhaps I should point out that if there is a conspiracy in the so-called first-gen anti-malware industry to use the term 'single technology' as a marketing epithet to attack so-called next-gen products, I didn't get the memo. I suppose you could say that 'multi-layering' is as much a buzzword as 'machine learning', but it seems common sense to me not to put all your eggs in one layer, so to speak. Clearly, I'm not the only security researcher who holds this view, but I'm not in marketing, and my articles on ITSecurity should not be seen as representing anyone's views but my own.

David Harley


No comments:

Post a Comment