Thursday 24 November 2016

Support Scams and Diagnostic Services

Every so often I get requests for help from people with a computer problem that may or may not be malware-related.
When I have to refuse help, which is more often than I’d like, I try to refer the people concerned to a more appropriate person or forum, and to suggest they do what they can to ensure that the advice is from a reputable and competent source. I’m more cautious about recommending specific resources, even well-known commercial organizations, unless I’m in a position to confirm their competence and bona fides.
Sadly, this reluctance has been reinforced by accusations against Office Depot, which is alleged to have tricked customers into paying for unnecessary repairs to their systems. I'm not sure it's that simple.
Support Scams and Diagnostic Services: an article for ITSecurity UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment